On Christmas eve 2009, the Diamond Jubilee hall in Upanga, Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) made history for being the venue were Sugu's tenth album was launched. The milestone in the career of Tanzania's most prolific hip hop artist was celebrated with over twenty invited performers who opened up for...
Tag Archive for: tanzania
One of the shining stars in the urban clothing industry in Tanzania is Kina Clothing. Africanhiphop.com spoke to Mkuki Bgoya, one of the two owners, about the philosophy behind the brand, the cultural landscape of East Africa in 2009, the much heralded resurgence in international interest in the African...
Starring Wale, Nipsey Hussle, Gsan and KRS One
America's BET Hip Hop Awards pays tribute to Tanzanian hip hop: Gsan, member of the group X Plastaz from Arusha, Tanzania participated in this year's cypher among legends such as KRS One, Wale, Mos Def, Eminem and dj Premier. Watch the video.
You may have read & listened to our recent update on Kalamashaka (Kenya) and group member Kama’s recent studio sessions. The first results have started to leak – by way of the producers themselves, we should add. This new track for Kama’s solo album sounds a bit like something...
A couple of artists who have distinguished themselves from the generic Bongo flava-sound in Tanzania have joined up for a new single and video. ‘Furaha’ by Arusha-based group X Plastaz and Dar es Salaam’s finest, solo rapper Fid Q, was launched in May on Channel 5 (East Africa TV)...
Young Tanzanian reggae singer Man Sniper (also spelled Mansnipa or Mansnepa) has been working with Dutch reggae group the Rootsriders to record his first album. In November 2008 he visited the African hip hop radio studio together with Cyril from the Rootsriders, where he spoke about his music and...
At his young age, Ali Kiba (also spelled Alikiba or Ally Kiba) from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania has already seen much of the world. His songs, most notably the monster hit Cinderella, have become known and loved all throughout the Swahili speaking countries of East Africa as well as...
‘Mzungu kichaa’ (crazy white guy) has been an expression circling in the Tanzanian hip hop scene ever since a Danish rapper called Joker did a collabo with popular artist Mr II (Sugu aka 2Proud) back in 1998. Ever since, every white man involved in Tanzanian hip hop would be...
Regime Change (NYC/Haiti), Negus World Order (Haiti/France), Saba Saba (Uganda), Narcy (Iraq), and Dola from (Tanzania). Directed by 3rdi.
Create your artist profile (beta)
African Hip Hop Forums
- ‘Tanzanians are supporting homegrown brands more than ever before’
- 'Arab' spring in Angola? Police respond with arrests and violence
- #GlobalCiphers: Trinity Festival 2012
- 100% African: I-20's video reppin' the motherland connection
- 23rd Anniversary of Black Noise: B-boy Battle (SA)
- 3 Colums
- 404 Page
- A fresh video for an old favorite: Mingus – Stay (produced by Hipe)
- A moment with Alesh of the DRC
- A moment with PPS the Writah from Senegal
- A new video by Blitz the Ambassador: Something to Believe
- A new Zimbabwe Legit posse cut (listen!)
- Accordion & Toggle
- Activity Stream Shortcode
- Activity Streams
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa Is Hot marathon update: eight hours of Red Light Radio shows
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- Africa Is Hotter this year
- Africa Represents at seventh International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa Samples mix by Weareblind
- Africa United: The 8th International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa's Next Top Femcee
- African artists should look beyond collecting royalties – the Hip-Hoppreneur #1
- African Hip Hop Jam @ Melkweg
- African hip hop on vinyl & IBMCs: African hip hop radio June 2012
- African hip hop radio – December 2011 with Vieira
- African hip hop radio – Leap Day edition
- African hip hop radio August 2012 – Eclectic Edition
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
- African Hip Hop Radio September 2010
- African hip hop radio with Chief Boima
- African hip hop radio with Madcon
- African Hip Hop Radio: Fully Loaded with Nneka & Sugu
- African hip hop radio: the World Cup edition
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African Rebel Movement
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- AfricanHipHop Mixtape – The Sequel (2009)
- Africanhiphop.com presents Baloji live
- Afrikaaps: hip hopera and documentary