If you lived in Tanzania in the 90s, as a hip hop head the name Deplowmatz (DPT) was without a doubt on your radar. The crew made name with a string of hits including ‘Are you down with the DPT’ and ‘Take a ride’. Produced by Master Jay, they...
Tag Archive for: tanzania
Pic: the fast changing city scape of Dar es Salaam, where the city is turning into a forest of high rise buildings (photo by J4) African hip hop radio – broadcasting via the web since 1999 – is back with a double update, combining our shows recorded at Amsterdam’s...
Text: The Black Noise Tendency Pics: Seth Markle From March 29th-31st 2012, artists, activists, educators, students and academics converged on the campus of Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut (USA) for the International Hip Hop Festival. Tucked neatly between New York City and Boston in northeastern America, the city of...
East Africa Rise Up (EARU), a hip hop based initiative in Arusha, Tanzania have started a Kickstarter crowd funding page to gather support for a planned one-month trip ‘up north’ of hip hop crew Watengwa to perform and record in France. The show at Festiv’al Arache in Cergy (north...
Hip hop has been around long enough for several generations to be active as recording and performing artists – seventies rap pioneer Kurtis Blow, whose first record came out in 1979, is still touring, while the majority of new names on the scene are under 20 years old, young...
After a hiatus of over one year (not counting the occasional mixtape and guest shows from Nairobi), African Hip Hop Radio is back on air. Or rather the web, because the new shows are streamed live through Red Light Radio which is web-only. The monthly two-hour show presented by...
One of the original heavy weights of hip hop passed away yesterday. Heavy D (44) died in Los Angeles of respiratory issues. In the early 90s the Jamaican born rapper’s music was massively popular in many African cities. Heavy’s influence on the budding African hip hop scenes can’t be...
Tanzanian group X Plastaz just launched their new video and single ‘Africa’. The highly anticipated song features the vocals of Fid Q, one of Tanzania’s most respected hip hop artists, and legendary producer/vocalist Bamba Nazar (aka Dj Threesixty from African hip hop radio). The message in the song is...
From the stronghold of hip hop in Tanzania, the city of Arusha, comes ‘Sitowasahau’ (Swahili for ‘I won’t forget them’), the new video and single by JCB with a chorus by John Massangwa. The first single from his latest album ‘Nakala za makala’ is a tribute to Faza Nelly...
It's that time of the year - African hip hop radio is back in the building after a few weeks spent behind the scenes, focusing on foundation work, the annual Doin' it in the Park festival and preparing our upcoming travels to Congo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya and Senegal. In...
Create your artist profile (beta)
African Hip Hop Forums
- ‘Tanzanians are supporting homegrown brands more than ever before’
- 'Arab' spring in Angola? Police respond with arrests and violence
- #GlobalCiphers: Trinity Festival 2012
- 100% African: I-20's video reppin' the motherland connection
- 23rd Anniversary of Black Noise: B-boy Battle (SA)
- 3 Colums
- 404 Page
- A fresh video for an old favorite: Mingus – Stay (produced by Hipe)
- A moment with Alesh of the DRC
- A moment with PPS the Writah from Senegal
- A new video by Blitz the Ambassador: Something to Believe
- A new Zimbabwe Legit posse cut (listen!)
- Accordion & Toggle
- Activity Stream Shortcode
- Activity Streams
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa Is Hot marathon update: eight hours of Red Light Radio shows
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- Africa Is Hotter this year
- Africa Represents at seventh International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa Samples mix by Weareblind
- Africa United: The 8th International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa's Next Top Femcee
- African artists should look beyond collecting royalties – the Hip-Hoppreneur #1
- African Hip Hop Jam @ Melkweg
- African hip hop on vinyl & IBMCs: African hip hop radio June 2012
- African hip hop radio – December 2011 with Vieira
- African hip hop radio – Leap Day edition
- African hip hop radio August 2012 – Eclectic Edition
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
- African Hip Hop Radio September 2010
- African hip hop radio with Chief Boima
- African hip hop radio with Madcon
- African Hip Hop Radio: Fully Loaded with Nneka & Sugu
- African hip hop radio: the World Cup edition
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African Rebel Movement
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- AfricanHipHop Mixtape – The Sequel (2009)
- Africanhiphop.com presents Baloji live
- Afrikaaps: hip hopera and documentary