In May 2012 the OpenForum took place in Cape Town, South Africa. The gathering brought together activists, artists, academics, policy-makers and business people to discuss the factors that will influence the African continent over the next decade. Leading up to the OpenForum, our partner website This Is Africa organized...
Tag Archive for: south africa
A new video by Khuli Chana, a South African emcee whose first album ‘the Motswakoriginator’ (2009) featured lyrics in Motswako, a slang based in Setswana, English and other languages. His history in SA hip hop goes back to the early nineties when he was active with Jazzzadaz and Morafe....
Even though we celebrate women everyday and firmly believe that African women run most of the African economies (lets feed the world more stereotypes), I would like to use my first blog post since a decade to praise some grand African female artists. We’ve already promised you that we’ll...
Earlier this year this landed in our mailbox, but between travels and holidays the mail ended up in the periphery of our brains. Time to dig it up: this is the first single off the upcoming compilation ‘One Day volume 1’ which the South African makers call a ‘hip-hopumentary’....
The second release in the Africanhiphop.com 15 Years Online series is another short documentary from the Redefinition: African Hip Hop project. Produced by along with '100% Galsen' (Senegal) and the 'Redefinition' film about African hip hop artists in the Netherlands, 'My Hip Hop' was premiered at the 2008 edition...
Kurt Orderson is a young film maker hailing from Cape Town, South Africa. His first documentary ‘Definition of freedom’ (2004) highlighted the role hip hop played in the struggle against Apartheid, and in ‘Prodigal Son‘ he traces the story of his great grandfather who had come from Barbados to...
'Watch the throne' is barely out but Jay-Z and Kanye got the world talking about their much awaited collabo, and by now it seems like most people downloaded a leaked copy that was shared on forums and torrent sites. This download included the cd booklet which mentions all the...
It's that time of the year - African hip hop radio is back in the building after a few weeks spent behind the scenes, focusing on foundation work, the annual Doin' it in the Park festival and preparing our upcoming travels to Congo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya and Senegal. In...
Burni Aman, best known as one-third of female rap group Godessa from South Africa, is in Europe to work on the Rogue State Alliance project. The exchange of hip hop artists from South Africa and Switzerland has already resulted in two albums and seven exchange trips. Together with mc...
South African artists Jitsvinger and Kyle Shepherd join the African hip hop radio studio together with Vieira from the Netherlands (via Cape Verde). Rapper Jitsvinger, who previously released his debut album ‘Skeletsleutel’, is known to be one of the best Afrikaans lyricists, and multi-instrumentalist Kyle Shepherd at the young...
- ‘Tanzanians are supporting homegrown brands more than ever before’
- 'Arab' spring in Angola? Police respond with arrests and violence
- #GlobalCiphers: Trinity Festival 2012
- 100% African: I-20's video reppin' the motherland connection
- 23rd Anniversary of Black Noise: B-boy Battle (SA)
- 3 Colums
- 404 Page
- A fresh video for an old favorite: Mingus – Stay (produced by Hipe)
- A moment with Alesh of the DRC
- A moment with PPS the Writah from Senegal
- A new video by Blitz the Ambassador: Something to Believe
- A new Zimbabwe Legit posse cut (listen!)
- Accordion & Toggle
- Activity Stream Shortcode
- Activity Streams
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa Is Hot marathon update: eight hours of Red Light Radio shows
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- Africa Is Hotter this year
- Africa Represents at seventh International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa Samples mix by Weareblind
- Africa United: The 8th International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa's Next Top Femcee
- African artists should look beyond collecting royalties – the Hip-Hoppreneur #1
- African Hip Hop Jam @ Melkweg
- African hip hop on vinyl & IBMCs: African hip hop radio June 2012
- African hip hop radio – December 2011 with Vieira
- African hip hop radio – Leap Day edition
- African hip hop radio August 2012 – Eclectic Edition
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
- African Hip Hop Radio September 2010
- African hip hop radio with Chief Boima
- African hip hop radio with Madcon
- African Hip Hop Radio: Fully Loaded with Nneka & Sugu
- African hip hop radio: the World Cup edition
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African Rebel Movement
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- AfricanHipHop Mixtape – The Sequel (2009)
- Africanhiphop.com presents Baloji live