Unlike in the United States, where hip hop sub-genres are differentiated by their cities of origin and lyrical themes (i.e. hardcore hip hop – New York; trap – party rap), here in South Africa they are distinguished by the languages they represent. Each of the eleven official languages has...
Tag Archive for: south africa
Some of our favorite emcees together come on one track in the brand new video ‘Tulia Tu'; not only Rabbit aka Kaka Sungura (Kenya) but also HHP (South Africa) kicking the vernacular verses and Wangechi, one of Kenya’s most interesting discoveries of late, whose first appearance was on a...
The music video for ‘Oemtjokitie’ by Doodvenootskap was shot in the South African city that tops all the world travel recommendation charts – Telegraph Travel Awards, NY Times’ 52 Places to go in 2014, Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2014 and so on. Where do all these people go?...
It’s the last African Hip Hop Radio show of the year already, and indeed 2013 went by without us paying attention to the fact that the show has been in existence for 15 years already...
A new video by Alec Lomami for his track ‘CLV’, directed by Tlhonepho Thobejane and shot to the always picturesque (pardon my French) backdrop of Cape Town. Including some amazing custom video game shots and featuring Congolese diaspora artists Sammus (NY) and Badi Banx (Brussels). Alec Lomami is a...
“Home is that peace of mind, the rays of sunshine / will go to war with any anybody trying to take mine.” –StaHHr Ever-pushing boundaries within the hip hop mixtape tradition, Nomadic Wax has partnered with NYC-based storytelling project Housing is a Human Right, in the creation of an...
Zimbabwe emcee Outspoken just dropped a new music video for his group ‘Outspoken & The Essence.’ This track is an introduction to Outspoken & The Essence and the group’s own interpretation of hip-hop. It is a conversation starter to the double album release, which will come out on May...
Rick Ross is not the first American hip hop artist to enjoy touring the African continent; ever since the late eighties when LL Cool J performed in Abidjan there’s been the occasional motherland trip for a major artist, and in recent years a steady stream of emcees, from the...
Here’s the video to the first single off South African artist Jaak’s upcoming album ‘Galant’. The story involving a sex worker, an undercover cop and a weed seller is apparently based on actual events (and did you know that in some African countries, recording a music video wearing army...
In May 2012 the OpenForum took place in Cape Town, South Africa. The gathering brought together activists, artists, academics, policy-makers and business people to discuss the factors that will influence the African continent over the next decade. Leading up to the OpenForum, our partner website This Is Africa organized...
Create your artist profile (beta)
African Hip Hop Forums
- ‘Tanzanians are supporting homegrown brands more than ever before’
- 'Arab' spring in Angola? Police respond with arrests and violence
- #GlobalCiphers: Trinity Festival 2012
- 100% African: I-20's video reppin' the motherland connection
- 23rd Anniversary of Black Noise: B-boy Battle (SA)
- 3 Colums
- 404 Page
- A fresh video for an old favorite: Mingus – Stay (produced by Hipe)
- A moment with Alesh of the DRC
- A moment with PPS the Writah from Senegal
- A new video by Blitz the Ambassador: Something to Believe
- A new Zimbabwe Legit posse cut (listen!)
- Accordion & Toggle
- Activity Stream Shortcode
- Activity Streams
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa Is Hot marathon update: eight hours of Red Light Radio shows
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- Africa Is Hotter this year
- Africa Represents at seventh International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa Samples mix by Weareblind
- Africa United: The 8th International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa's Next Top Femcee
- African artists should look beyond collecting royalties – the Hip-Hoppreneur #1
- African Hip Hop Jam @ Melkweg
- African hip hop on vinyl & IBMCs: African hip hop radio June 2012
- African hip hop radio – December 2011 with Vieira
- African hip hop radio – Leap Day edition
- African hip hop radio August 2012 – Eclectic Edition
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
- African Hip Hop Radio September 2010
- African hip hop radio with Chief Boima
- African hip hop radio with Madcon
- African Hip Hop Radio: Fully Loaded with Nneka & Sugu
- African hip hop radio: the World Cup edition
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African Rebel Movement
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- AfricanHipHop Mixtape – The Sequel (2009)
- Africanhiphop.com presents Baloji live
- Afrikaaps: hip hopera and documentary