Kenyan hip hop legens Kalamashaka are back in the studio, working with Ambrose from Mandugu Digital who recently moved back to Kenya. MC Shenzy spoke to them about their new work and breaks down their importance for the growth of Kenyan hip hop in the past decade.
Tag Archive for: radio
Young Tanzanian reggae singer Man Sniper (also spelled Mansnipa or Mansnepa) has been working with Dutch reggae group the Rootsriders to record his first album. In November 2008 he visited the African hip hop radio studio together with Cyril from the Rootsriders, where he spoke about his music and...
At his young age, Ali Kiba (also spelled Alikiba or Ally Kiba) from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania has already seen much of the world. His songs, most notably the monster hit Cinderella, have become known and loved all throughout the Swahili speaking countries of East Africa as well as...
Fresh off the plane, Bobbito and Rich Medina had a weekend to spend in Amsterdam on the occasion of the Hudson year celebrations between NYC and Amsterdam, for which they were invited to spin at different clubs. They also celebrated the release of their joint effort, the compilation ‘The...
In April, South African Dplanet & Spooky from the Cape Town-based label Pioneer Unit visited the African hip hop radio studio in Amsterdam. Originally from Europe (UK and Belgium), they moved to South Africa over a decade ago. In recent years producer Dplanet and designer/video director Spooky have become...
In June 2008, two major hip hop events were canceled in Gabon because of the sudden death of president Bongo, who had been in power for 42 years. In response to his passing, the government shut down the internet and landline communications, and for a few days even air...
In 2006, African hip hop radio first met up with K'naan. Three years later he's back and ready to talk about his involuntary role as a spokesperson to the Somali pirates, about his relationship with his late aunt, the popular Somali singer Magool, and about what Damian Marley learnt...
In the summer of 2009, Soweto based group Bantu Continua Uhuru Consciousness (or simply BCUC) went on a European tour which saw them frequent the majority of open air music festivals in the Netherlands. They also made time to drop by the African hip hop radio studio at FunX...
Create your artist profile (beta)
African Hip Hop Forums
- ‘Tanzanians are supporting homegrown brands more than ever before’
- 'Arab' spring in Angola? Police respond with arrests and violence
- #GlobalCiphers: Trinity Festival 2012
- 100% African: I-20's video reppin' the motherland connection
- 23rd Anniversary of Black Noise: B-boy Battle (SA)
- 3 Colums
- 404 Page
- A fresh video for an old favorite: Mingus – Stay (produced by Hipe)
- A moment with Alesh of the DRC
- A moment with PPS the Writah from Senegal
- A new video by Blitz the Ambassador: Something to Believe
- A new Zimbabwe Legit posse cut (listen!)
- Accordion & Toggle
- Activity Stream Shortcode
- Activity Streams
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa Is Hot marathon update: eight hours of Red Light Radio shows
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- Africa Is Hotter this year
- Africa Represents at seventh International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa Samples mix by Weareblind
- Africa United: The 8th International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa's Next Top Femcee
- African artists should look beyond collecting royalties – the Hip-Hoppreneur #1
- African Hip Hop Jam @ Melkweg
- African hip hop on vinyl & IBMCs: African hip hop radio June 2012
- African hip hop radio – December 2011 with Vieira
- African hip hop radio – Leap Day edition
- African hip hop radio August 2012 – Eclectic Edition
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
- African Hip Hop Radio September 2010
- African hip hop radio with Chief Boima
- African hip hop radio with Madcon
- African Hip Hop Radio: Fully Loaded with Nneka & Sugu
- African hip hop radio: the World Cup edition
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African Rebel Movement
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- AfricanHipHop Mixtape – The Sequel (2009)
- Africanhiphop.com presents Baloji live
- Afrikaaps: hip hopera and documentary