Our mixtape series focusing on forgotten and undiscovered 80s Afro grooves is now three volumes deep. Afro Cosmic Club brings uptempo grooves from early- to mid-1980s urban Africa and the Afro-European diaspora, with a few Caribbean rarities thrown in.
Tag Archive for: mixtape
In 2011 we released 'Afro Cosmic Club', a mix by Dj Gioumanne (aka J4, editor of Africanhiphop.com) which got 'nuff praise from different angles. The hour-long journey through African and African inspired music from the early eighties finally got a follow-up this month as 'Afro Cosmic Club 2' was...
“Home is that peace of mind, the rays of sunshine / will go to war with any anybody trying to take mine.” –StaHHr Ever-pushing boundaries within the hip hop mixtape tradition, Nomadic Wax has partnered with NYC-based storytelling project Housing is a Human Right, in the creation of an...
Nomadic Wax put together this little mix for OkayAfrica’s ‘Africa In Your Earbuds‘ series. Mixed by Nomadic Wax’s Creative Director Magee, this is what he wrote about the project: On New Years Day 2012, Nomadic Wax celebrated its 10th anniversary, a number increasingly...
This just in from Nomadic Wax: The hip hop scene in Zimbabwe is fierce, and also heavily slept on. Overshadowed by the scenes in its neighboring countries, it is only a matter of time before movements like Magamba Network’s Shoko Festival and the Book Cafe’s regular events are going...
Paris based creative collective Weareblind may be a new name to us, but they have already created buzz in the past years doing videos for Nike’s We Run Paris campaign, working with Stussy and other labels. They drew our attention with a new mix freely available via Soundcloud, with...
The first mixtape in our Fifteen Years Africanhiphop.com series is also one of the first full-length mixes we uploaded to the web back in 1999 under the flag of ‘Rumba-Kali African Hip Hop show’, the predecessor to African Hip Hop Radio. This collection of Senegalese hip hop was collected...
All the way from Philadelphia, USA is Brotha Onaci whose mixes we have been checking out over the past months. Through events like the Sonic Diaspora parties (started out in Chicago and soon coming to Philly, you can tune in via This is Africa radio) and the Radiant Souls mixtape...
Rock The Mic Vol. 1 is a classic compilation first released in 2005 of hip-hop music from Lomé, Togo, and Cotonou, Benin on the Asrafo Records label. Featured on the compilation are MC’s Avénon, Eklin, Elom20ce, Easy Mo & CK One. Hailing from Togo, Benin and Cameroon, the compilation...
Create your artist profile (beta)
African Hip Hop Forums
- ‘Tanzanians are supporting homegrown brands more than ever before’
- 'Arab' spring in Angola? Police respond with arrests and violence
- #GlobalCiphers: Trinity Festival 2012
- 100% African: I-20's video reppin' the motherland connection
- 23rd Anniversary of Black Noise: B-boy Battle (SA)
- 3 Colums
- 404 Page
- A fresh video for an old favorite: Mingus – Stay (produced by Hipe)
- A moment with Alesh of the DRC
- A moment with PPS the Writah from Senegal
- A new video by Blitz the Ambassador: Something to Believe
- A new Zimbabwe Legit posse cut (listen!)
- Accordion & Toggle
- Activity Stream Shortcode
- Activity Streams
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa Is Hot marathon update: eight hours of Red Light Radio shows
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- Africa Is Hotter this year
- Africa Represents at seventh International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa Samples mix by Weareblind
- Africa United: The 8th International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa's Next Top Femcee
- African artists should look beyond collecting royalties – the Hip-Hoppreneur #1
- African Hip Hop Jam @ Melkweg
- African hip hop on vinyl & IBMCs: African hip hop radio June 2012
- African hip hop radio – December 2011 with Vieira
- African hip hop radio – Leap Day edition
- African hip hop radio August 2012 – Eclectic Edition
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
- African Hip Hop Radio September 2010
- African hip hop radio with Chief Boima
- African hip hop radio with Madcon
- African Hip Hop Radio: Fully Loaded with Nneka & Sugu
- African hip hop radio: the World Cup edition
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African Rebel Movement
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- AfricanHipHop Mixtape – The Sequel (2009)
- Africanhiphop.com presents Baloji live
- Afrikaaps: hip hopera and documentary