Ken Kiz and Ngongull ze Blackman, the two dreadlocked emcees that make up Poetes Fyziks, are both natives of Gabon. The pair met in the early nineties as rivals in different local rap groups. They joined forces after recognizing each other’s passion for hip hop’s powerful voice, and...
Tag Archive for: diaspora
Will this go down in history? While Kanye’s ‘Diamonds from Sierra Leone’ was graced with an intro by Sierra Leone born emcee Chosan, now Kanye is appearing on a video by an African artist – the long awaited official video for ‘Oliver Twist’. Not a hip hop record, but...
One of the new artists performing at our annual Doin’ it in the Park last year was Papa Ghana. His first single was released about a year ago and finally there’s a music video. The track, produced by Johannesburg based artist Riky Rick, has been brushed up too. Papa...
I’m shooting the breeze with Fore (Mutaurwa Mapondera), a confident and artistically ambitious young Zimbabwean emcee, and as he talks about why he had to leave New York I’m reminded of the Congolese emcee Alec Lomami, who also had to leave the States after 14 years, and I imagine...
All the way from Philadelphia, USA is Brotha Onaci whose mixes we have been checking out over the past months. Through events like the Sonic Diaspora parties (started out in Chicago and soon coming to Philly, you can tune in via This is Africa radio) and the Radiant Souls mixtape...
If you're familiar with UK hip hop, chances are that you own some of Richy Pitch's albums and EPs. The London based dj/producer, who has been a regular on the UK scene since the mid 90s and who dropped classics like the Live at Home EP, moved to Accra...
It's that time of the year - African hip hop radio is back in the building after a few weeks spent behind the scenes, focusing on foundation work, the annual Doin' it in the Park festival and preparing our upcoming travels to Congo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya and Senegal. In...
If you're near Amsterdam, the Netherlands on saturday July 31st, you're in for a treat. The second edition of Doin' it in the Park, the Africanhiphop.com open-air park jam, promises to be even better than last year's edition, with an all-star line-up including Congo Groove and Blitz the Ambassador.
Kenna is an Ethiopian-born American musician who has released two albums, ‘New Sacred Cow’ and ‘Make Sure They See My Face’. He recently went to Tanzania where he spent a couple of days climbing one of the toughest mountains in the world, the Kilimanjaro, together with a group of friends...
Remember JJC, the UK dwelling Nigerian producer of Big Brovaz fame? A couple of years back he released a solo effort ‘Atide’, then became presenter of BBC 1Xtra’s African show (currently hosted by dj Edu). He is back with a new single and video, preceding a new album. This...
Create your artist profile (beta)
African Hip Hop Forums
- ‘Tanzanians are supporting homegrown brands more than ever before’
- 'Arab' spring in Angola? Police respond with arrests and violence
- #GlobalCiphers: Trinity Festival 2012
- 100% African: I-20's video reppin' the motherland connection
- 23rd Anniversary of Black Noise: B-boy Battle (SA)
- 3 Colums
- 404 Page
- A fresh video for an old favorite: Mingus – Stay (produced by Hipe)
- A moment with Alesh of the DRC
- A moment with PPS the Writah from Senegal
- A new video by Blitz the Ambassador: Something to Believe
- A new Zimbabwe Legit posse cut (listen!)
- Accordion & Toggle
- Activity Stream Shortcode
- Activity Streams
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa Is Hot marathon update: eight hours of Red Light Radio shows
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- Africa Is Hotter this year
- Africa Represents at seventh International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa Samples mix by Weareblind
- Africa United: The 8th International Hip Hop Festival
- Africa's Next Top Femcee
- African artists should look beyond collecting royalties – the Hip-Hoppreneur #1
- African Hip Hop Jam @ Melkweg
- African hip hop on vinyl & IBMCs: African hip hop radio June 2012
- African hip hop radio – December 2011 with Vieira
- African hip hop radio – Leap Day edition
- African hip hop radio August 2012 – Eclectic Edition
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
- African Hip Hop Radio September 2010
- African hip hop radio with Chief Boima
- African hip hop radio with Madcon
- African Hip Hop Radio: Fully Loaded with Nneka & Sugu
- African hip hop radio: the World Cup edition
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African Rebel Movement
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- AfricanHipHop Mixtape – The Sequel (2009)
- Africanhiphop.com presents Baloji live
- Afrikaaps: hip hopera and documentary