African Hip Hop Radio is the continuation of the Rumba-Kali webcast which has been online since 1998 at Africanhiphop.com playing those tunes that you won’t hear anywhere else.
Since 2005 Africanhiphop.com has delivered monthly web radio shows by presenters from all over the continent and the African diaspora. Between 2005 and 2010 we also produced regular (monthly and weekly) broadcasts on Dutch public radio (NPS and FunX Lijn5), most of these can still be streamed. In November 2011 we resumed the monthly shows in Amsterdam on Red Light Radio. From July 2014, the Red Light Radio show is known as Africa Is Hot.
African Hip Hop Radio can now be listened to via a non-stop stream, accessible through your web browser or mobile phone at Africanhiphop.com. The stream features the latest African hip hop tracks & best classics from 20+ years of African hip hop history. On this page you find all posts related to the web shows and the online stream.
Recent posts on African Hip Hop Radio & Africa Is Hot
- Africa is hot #2 with Oko of Project19
- Africa is Hot, a new monthly radio show exploring musical frontiers
- African Hip Hop Radio’s Triple Treat & launching the web stream
- African twerking and the Sauti za Busara festival – African hip hop radio Jan 2014
- Boom Africa! African Hip Hop Radio December 2013
- Felebrating William Onyeabor with African Hip Hop Radio (October/November 2013)
- Banchikicha! African hip hop radio August 2013
- Summer Jammin' with African Hip Hop Radio
- Swaghili, Tanzania special and a beats excursion: African hip hop radio May & June 2013
- African hip hop radio presents: Excursions on the Mbira
African Hip Hop Radio – International edition
A monthly web-only show produced by the African hip hop radio deejays all over the continent and the diaspora, focusing on the best new tracks coming out on the local scenes. The Amsterdam chapter of African Hip Hop Radio premiered every last Wednesday of the month live on Red Light Radio. Since July 2014, the show is called Africa Is Hot, while African Hip Hop Radio is now a 24/7 stream – listen using the player below this page. You can use this Soundcloud playlist to listen to every African Hip Hop Radio show recorded at Red Light Radio:
African Hip Hop Radio – Dutch edition
Between 2008 and 2010 we ran a weekly broadcast on Holland’s popular youth radio station FunX (Lijn5) hosted by GMB, J4 and dj Threesixty playing hit material, underground tracks, classtrueics and uptempo dance tunes in Threesixty’s Kilimanjaro mix. Altogether this resulted in 70 shows and a total of 170 hours broadcast, all of which can be listened to here. In July 2010 the weekly show was discontinued because of program changes at FunX, but in November 2011 we resurfaced on Red Light Radio and you can listen to all the shows on this page they are uploaded shortly after the broadcast.
[fwdmsp preset_id=”11″ playlist_id=”0″]